Feeding Kids in Your Own Backyard
When millions of children leave school for the summer, they struggle with access to meals during the week and on the weekends. And while hunger is a worldwide issue, it also happens in our local communities—right in our own backyards. Children shouldn’t spend the summer worrying about going hungry; they should be out playing in the sun.
This campaign will run for the entire month of May, culminating on World Hunger Day, May 28.
Starting May 23, 2022, the Clarkson Law Firm, P.C., will match the first $1,425 donated to the Blessings in a Backpack Northwest Oregon Chapter in honor of World Hunger Day, dollar for dollar.
Matching begins at 10 a.m. EST/7 a.m. PST on May 23.
If you have any questions about making a donation, please contact Brent Glass by email or call (312) 366-2749. On average, $130 will help to feed one child on the weekends for a 38-week school year!
The following are some examples of how companies or organizations can participate and support Blessings in a Backpack for World Hunger Day:
- Host an in-person or virtual packing event.
- Plan an outdoor company event to kick off the summer months that includes a fundraising aspect. Examples include: corn hole, volleyball, or softball tournament, Olympic games (relay contests), kick-off to summer BBQ event.
- Summer hours incentive: Employees can donate to Blessings to have a summer day off (e.g., summer Fridays, summer afternoons).
- Raffle/incentive prizes: Employees can purchase raffle tickets during the month of May to be entered in a daily/weekly/monthly drawing. Prizes should include a summer theme. Examples include: weekend getaway, local country club membership, picnic/hiking baskets, a “day at the beach” package, backyard BBQ packages, sporting event tickets.
- Company walk/run event: Can be any distance (one block for fun, 5K, 10K).
- Host an outdoor fun fair to kick-off summer and invite families in the community.
- Host an afternoon/evening outdoor summer concert series weekly throughout the summer for employees that includes food trucks and beverages.
- Host an in-kind summer fun items donation drive to be provided to a local program for their last bag distribution of the year. Kids should be kids. Think sidewalk chalk, bubbles, etc.
- Conduct a cash register checkout campaign asking customers to round up for Blessings or purchase a Backpack icon.